12 July, 2007

Using FeedBurner with Blogger

FeedBurner is a great utility for publishing and managing your blog feed. It gives you extended subscriber stats and you can easily add extra functionality to your blog posts such as integration with Technorati, del.icio.us and Digg helping the reader to use their favourite tools.

So if you aren't already subscribing to this blog via my FeedBurner url (http://feeds.feedburner.com/kalsing), please update your feed reader to do so. In exchange, I promise some exciting posts in the coming weeks.

I'm using Blogger to host this blog and I've had a few issues with my setup that I finally found some time to address this morning:

  • Directing subscribers to the FeedBurner feed. I've always had a link to my FeedBurner feed on the blog site. However, users might not use this link and instead use the 'autodiscovery' functionality available in IE7 and Firefox. By default, this will point readers to the Blogger generated feed url rather than using the FeedBurner link. But the good news is that you can control what link is provided from the 'autodiscovery' buttons. More details about this here.
  • Wrong dates showing in Outlook 2007. When subscribing to my feed using the new feed reader functionality in Outlook 2007, the posts would not display the correct publication date (all posts had the same date, 1/01/2007) and hence the posts couldn't be sorted chronologially. The problem is that Outlook 2007 doesn't seem to read Atom feeds correctly. To fix this problem, configure your FeedBurner to use the Blogger generated RSS url rather than the Atom url. This url should be http://[YourId].blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss.

No comments: