If you are working as a SharePoint consultant you are likely to often encounter questions as to where SharePoint stands against competing products. Here are some resources that will help you answering those questions.
The Gartner Magic Quadrant is a research tool designed to provide unbiased qualitative analysis of market trends. This research is conducted for more that 100 specific technical industries and outlines strengths and cautions for all the major players in each of the respective areas.
The following is a list of Magic Quadrants from Gartner that have the most relevance from a SharePoint perspective and they contain lots of valuable information if you are trying to position SharePoint in the marketplace. They all position Microsoft among the leaders compared to competing offerings with the only exception being the magic quadrant for social software which is yet to find a leader.
Update: Unfortunately, public access to all the links below has expired.
- Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portal Products
- Magic Quadrant for Information Access Technology
- Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Content Management
- Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence Platforms
- Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Application Servers
- Magic Quadrant for Social Software
- Magic Quadrant for Unified Communications
- Magic Quadrant for IT Project and Portfolio Management
Note, that SharePoint is not the only product from Microsoft earning them these merits. But it certainly has a part to play in all of the above and looking at the broad range of capabilities listed underlines that SharePoint is a horizontal platform more than anything else. If you look at each of the specific industries, then there are always more specialised products taking the lead. However, as a broad platform providing a wide range of capabilites SharePoint is hard to beat.